Including Student Information

+ Print

+ Registration Deadlines and Election Dates

  • Voter Registration Deadline: 21 days before Election Day
  • Primary Election Registration Deadline: July 17, 2018. Update your party affiliation by July 3, 2018.
  • Primary Election: August 7, 2018
  • General Election Registration Deadline: October 16, 2018
  • General Election: November 6, 2018

+ Official Election Websites

+ Register at School or Home

Students have a choice about where to register to vote.
Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.
You may only be registered and vote in one location.

+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Register?

The voter registration form asks for your Kansas driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it. Online registrations must include a Kansas driver’s license/non-driver ID card number.

*Kansas’s statute has a documentary proof of citizenship requirement, but it is not currently being enforced because of pending litigation. Check back for updates because the litigation is ongoing and this information is subject to change.

+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Vote?

All voters in Kansas must show an unexpired photo ID when voting an advance ballot in person or at the polls on Election Day. Voters casting advance mail-in ballots need only submit a copy of their photo ID with the advance ballot application, if they do not have a Kansas driver’s license or ID card. Acceptable forms of ID include, but are not limited to

  • a driver’s license issued by Kansas or another state;
  • a student ID issued by an accredited Kansas postsecondary educational institution
  • a state ID card issued by Kansas or by another state;
  • a US military ID; and
  • an ID card issued by an Indian tribe.
  • A full list of acceptable photo IDs can be found at gotvoterid.com.

+ Where Do I Vote?

Make a plan. Look up your voting site and hours at: https://myvoteinfo.voteks.org/VoterView/Home.do

+ How Can I Vote?

By Mail

Any registered voter in Kansas may vote by an advance mail-in ballot without an excuse. Request this ballot in-person at your county election office, by fax, or by mail. The application is available online at http://www.sos.ks.gov/forms/elections/AV1.pdf.

Requests must be received by the county election officer by the last business day of the week preceding the election. Completed ballots must be received in person by the county election officer (including hand-delivered to any polling place in the county) by the close of polls on Election Day, or postmarked on or before Election Day and received no later than three days after the election.

Early In-person

The advance voting period can be from 7 days long and to 20 days long, depending on the county. An advance ballot may be cast until noon on the day before Election Day. Some counties set up satellite voting locations. To figure out where to cast your advance ballot, contact your county election officer.

Election Day

Voting sites will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time then you will be allowed to vote.

+ Common Questions/Concerns

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

  • Federal Financial Aid
    • Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA
  • Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes
    • Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes
  • Tuition Status
    • Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community

Will registering to vote in Kansas affect my driver’s license or car registration?

  • Yes. If you register to vote in Kansas, you should obtain a Kansas driver’s license and you may have to register your vehicle in Kansas. For more information, you may wish to contact the Kansas Department of Revenue, Division of Vehicles.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed Kansas legal professional.

Last updated October 2018