Including Student Information
+ Registration Deadlines and Election Dates
- Voter Registration Deadline: 21 days before Election Day
- General Election Registration Deadline: October 16, 2018
- General Election: November 6, 2018
+ Official Election Websites
- More election information at www.njelections.org
+ Register at School or Home
Students have a choice about where to register to vote.
Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.
You may only be registered and vote in one location.
+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Register?
New Jersey’s voter registration form asks for your New Jersey driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.
+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Vote?
Most New Jersey voters do not need to show ID at the polls in order to vote. However, if you are a first-time voter who registered to vote by mail without providing either your New Jersey driver’s license number, non-driver ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number, you will need to show valid ID before voting. Acceptable forms of ID include:
- A New Jersey driver’s license or other state-issued ID;
- A U.S. passport;
- A military or other government ID;
- A student or job ID;
- A store membership card (like a Costco card); or
- A bank statement, paycheck, car registration, rent receipt/sample ballot, government document, or utility bill.
+ Where Do I Vote?
Make a plan. Look up your voting site and hours at: https://voter.njsvrs.com
+ How Can I Vote?
- New Jersey voters who wish to vote by mail must submit an application. You do not need to provide a reason.
- The county clerk must receive applications for vote by mail ballots seven days before Election Day.
- County election officials must receive vote by mail ballots by 8 p.m. on Election Day.
- You may also request a vote by mail ballot in-person at
- If you make the request in person, you have until 3 p.m. the day before Election Day.
- Voting sites will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time then you will be allowed to vote.
+ Common Questions/Concerns
Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:
- Federal Financial Aid
- Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA
- Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes
- Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes
- Tuition Status
- Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community
Will registering to vote in New Jersey affect my driver’s license or car registration?
- To register to vote, you must be a resident of New Jersey. Voting in New Jersey may subject you to other laws that govern state residents, including those regarding driver’s licenses and car registration. For more information contact the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed New Jersey legal professional.
Last updated June 2018