Including Student Information

+ Print

+ Registration Deadlines and Election Dates

  • Voter Registration Deadline: 14 days before Election Day
  • General Election Registration Deadline: October 22, 2018
  • General Election: November 6, 2018

+ Official Election Websites

+ Register at School or Home

Students have a choice about where to register to vote.
Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.
You may only be registered and vote in one location.

+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Register?

Alabama’s voter registration form asks for your Alabama driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.

+ What Type of ID Do I Need to Vote?

Alabama requires photo ID to vote both in person and absentee. Acceptable photo IDs are:

  • A valid Alabama driver’s license or Alabama non–driver ID card
  • A valid Alabama voter photo ID card
  • Any other valid photo ID card issued by state or federal government
  • A valid U.S. passport
  • A valid employee photo ID card issued by state, federal, or municipal government
  • A valid student or employee photo ID card from a public or private college or university in Alabama
  • A valid U.S. military photo ID card
  • A valid tribal photo ID card
  • If you vote absentee you must also submit a copy of valid photo ID with your ballot.

If you are asked to vote a provisional ballot for failure to show photo ID, your ballot will not count unless you provide photo ID to the county board of registrars no later than 5 p.m. on the Friday following the election. Board of registrars’ contact information is available here.

+ Where Do I Vote?

Make a plan. Look up your voting site and hours at:

+ How Can I Vote?

By Mail

  • You may vote an absentee ballot by mail if you have one of the following reasons:
    • You are a student enrolled at an educational institution outside the county or state of your personal residence
    • You will be absent from the county or state on Election Day
    • You are ill or have a physical infirmity that prevents you from going to the polls
    • Your work shift overlaps with at least 10 of the hours the polls are open on Election Day
    • You are an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than your own
    • You are a member of, or a spouse or dependent of a member of, the Armed Forces
  • Applications for absentee ballots sent by mail must be received by your county’s Absentee Election Manager no later than five days before the election
    • After that, a voter needs to apply in person at their county election office to receive a vote-by-mail ballot for that election.
  • Completed absentee ballots must be returned in person by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the election or postmarked no later than the day prior to the election and received by the Absentee Election Manager by noon on Election Day.

Early In-person

  • The absentee voting rules allow you to receive an absentee ballot in person, no later than five days before the election.
  • You can return your completed absentee ballot in person the same day.
  • You need one of the excuses listed above to qualify for an absentee ballot.

Election Day

  • Voting sites will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time then you will be allowed to vote.

+ Common Questions/Concerns

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

  • Federal Financial Aid
    • Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA
  • Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes
    • Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes
  • Tuition Status
    • Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community

Will registering to vote in Alabama affect my driver’s license or car registration?

  • Registering to vote in Alabama does not necessarily change your driver’s license and vehicle registration. However, as a full–time student in Alabama, you may have to make these changes regardless of whether you register to vote in Alabama. For more information, contact the Alabama Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division or an Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Driver License Office.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intends the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed Alabama legal professional.

Last updated June 2018