Voter Registration Deadline: 30 days before Election Day
What Type of ID Do I Need to Register?
Register at School or Home?
Students have a choice about where to register to vote.
- Students attending college in Arkansas may register at their school address. You must plan to return after temporary absences, like summer break, but do not have to plan to reside at that address permanently.
- Students may choose to register or remain registered at a permanent address in Arkansas or outside the state. In this case, students may need to vote by absentee ballot.
You may only be registered and vote in one location.
What Type of ID Do I Need to Vote?
How Can I Vote?
- Arkansas residents who “will be unavoidably absent from his or her voting place” on Election Day or will be unable to go to the polls due to illness or physical disability may vote by mail-in absentee ballot.
- Absentee ballot applications must be received by the county clerk 7 days before the election if sent by mail, email or fax.
- Students may request an absentee ballot in person up until the day before the election. Contact your county clerk for more information.
- Completed absentee ballots should be returned to the county clerk’s office the day before Election Day if delivered in person by the voter or by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day if delivered by mail.
Early In Person Early voting is available to any registered voter beginning 15 days before most elections. For some elections such as runoffs early in person voting begins 7 days before the election. Contact your county clerk’s office to confirm locations. On Election Day at the Polls The polls are open from 7:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
Will voting in Arkansas affect my federal financial aid?
Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants and Perkins or Stafford loans or your dependency status regarding FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
Does being an out-of-state student for tuition purposes affect my right to vote in my college community?
Will I lose my scholarship if I register to vote in Arkansas?
Will registering to vote in Arkansas affect my driver’s license or car registration?
Will registering to vote in Arkansas prevent my parents from claiming me as a dependent on their taxes?
This Guide was prepared by FELN staff who are not licensed to practice law in Arkansas and FELN intends that the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed Arkansas legal professional.